Followers

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Last Words

Chad leads us behind the bar. In front of the bar is a street. Hardly anyone ever drives down it. In theory, Chad could dispose of us there, but he wants to maintain an air of professionalism. Hence why we are tied with our hands behind our backs and our eyes facing the brick wall. It appears as though he wants to do away with us execution style. It's cowardice if you ask me, but no one has. I doubt anyone will. "Any last words?" He asks. "You don't have to do this." Olivia says. "I think I do." He replies. Chad pokes my back with his shoe. "How about you? Any last words?" I take a deep breath. Before I can say anything, Chad cuts me off. "On second thought, I don't care. Here we go, I'll count to three." This is it. I can't believe it has come to this. "One..." My heart rate picks up. Sweat is pouring down my face. "Two..." Olivia rests her head on my shoulder. I can't believe we're in this predicament. I wish I could have done more for her. "Three." That's it. There is nothing more I can do other than to make my peace, and take solace in knowing that I'll understand the great beyond. I gulp, thinking to myself "I'm ready." I hear a loud noise. It doesn't sound like a gunshot. It's more like something hit the ground, hard. Was the bar door slammed shut? Was back up called? Jimmy rushes up to us. He quickly unties us. Once we are free, I stare at him blankly. "Did you rescue us?" I ask. "Yes. Go, run!" He urges. "But why would you save us?" "Word of advice, when someone saves your life, you don't question it. Now get out of here." He insists. "What about you? Are you gonna be ok?" Olivia asks. "I'll be fine. Don't worry about me." We heed his advice. We run deep into the marsh. When we feel as though we are far enough away, we call out to our majestic falcon. Wellness Center here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment