Followers

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Our Story


We go over our story with Todd in his office. We tell him every last detail from playing Monopoly to being saved last minute. By the time we are done Todd looks as though he may implode from all the information. He leans back in his chair, thinking carefully what to say. "The bartender bludgeoned the lawyer?" He asks. "We think so. We didn't get a good look. We just heard something hit the ground, and then Jimmy untied us." Olivia says. "So, you don't know if he's ok?" Todd wonders. "No, and we're not going back there." I say, firmly. Todd shakes his head. "I couldn't ask you to." Todd exhales , and taps his fingers on his desk. There is clearly something on his mind. "Just a few more things I want to go over. Going back to the bar, how did you say he got you?" I look down. "We had a few drinks." "A few drinks? How many is that?" He asks. "They were free." Olivia says, defensively. "Because they were free that gave you the right to become inebriated?" He questions. "How were we to know that would happen?" I ask. Todd slams his hands on his desk. "It was a trap. How could you not see that?" "In retrospect that was a bad idea, but you don't blame the victim." Olivia says. Todd wants to say more, but he chooses not to. Instead he collects himself and continues. "In the future don't do anything like that again." "He offered. It would look more suspicious to turn him down." Olivia informs. Todd's eyes widen. "One drink I can understand, but it wasn't just one drink." "If you did what we did instead of hanging out in the sky all day you might understand." Olivia quips. I decide to jump in . "I have a question." Todd tiredly turns his attention to me. "Why give us your number if you weren't gonna help?" "I was helping. I was figuring a safe way to get you two out of there." "You really helped us out." Olivia responds, sarcastically. "I realize I could have done more. Part of the problem was we don't have a department for what you do. Maybe you would like to head it." "No." Olivia replies. Todd appears befuddled that we rejected his suggestion. "We're tired. We need a vacation. Maybe ask us again in a month or so." I say. Todd shrugs. He opens a drawer and takes out a document. "What's that?" Olivia asks. "Papers for the library. It's yours." We look at each other in glee. "I don't agree with your methods. However, a deal's a deal. Sign and it's yours."

No comments:

Post a Comment